A plaque at this site on the west side of Main Street in Winnipeg was erected to commemorate the West Clement Block that once stood near here.
In 1884, John Rickard Clements commissioned architect brothers Charles Arnold Barber and Earle William Barber to design a curving three-storey red brick building along this bend in Main Street. Another pair of architect brothers Alexander D. Melville and William N. Melville added a Vaudeville theatre, the Bijou, to the rear of the building facing Albert Street in 1904 for John Albert Schuberg and Frederick Burrows.
The theatre closed in 1956 and the building was destroyed by fire on 4 April 1979.
Memorable Manitobans: John Rickard Clements (1838-1926)
Memorable Manitobans: Charles Arnold Barber (1848-1915)
Memorable Manitobans: Earle William Barber (1855-1915)
Memorable Manitobans: Alexander D. Melville (1873-1949)
Memorable Manitobans: William N. Melville (1876-?)
Memorable Manitobans: John Albert “Johnny Nash” Schuberg (1875-1953)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Court House (494 Main Street, Winnipeg)
“Six city businesses gutted by fires,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 April 1979, page 1.
“Artifact search fruitless,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 May 1979, page 5.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 April 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.