Historic Sites of Manitoba: Beveridge Block / Selkirk Hotel (802 Main Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick and stone building on Main Street in Winnipeg, measuring 66 feet by 80 feet, was designed by local architects Daniel Smith and William Bruce, and built in 1907 by contractor Louis A. Pachal for realtor Percy A. Crump at a cost of about $42,000.
Its original configuration provided three retail spaces on the main level and 36 residential apartments on the upper two floors. In the early 1910s, the building was converted to a hotel and was renamed the Selkirk Hotel, managed by C. Shepard. It was converted back to an apartment block in the late 1920s.
The building was damaged extensively by fire on 17 August 2021 and was demolished later that year.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1520/1907, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Two handsome blocks,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 July 1907, page 16.
“New Crump Block,” Manitoba Free Press, 27 July 1907, page 2.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Beveridge Block, 802 Main Street by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2009.
“Fire renders Main Street building a write-off,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 August 2021.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 March 2023