Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bethel School No. 301 (Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)
The Bethel School District was organized formally in February 1887 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the southeast corner of SE34-3-18W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain. The original schoolhouse was destroyed by fire in 1921 and replace. The district was dissolved in 1965 and its catchment area became part of the Buttrum Consolidated School District and later the Turtle Mountain School Division.
Among the teachers of Bethel School were Lance Gill (1887) and Mrs. Carl Stover (1965).
School District Formation Files [Bethel School District No. 301], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Reflections: Turtle Mountain Municipality and Killarney, 1882-1982, page 107.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 September 2017
Back to top of page