Historic Sites of Manitoba: Belle Creek School No. 1827 (RM of Mossey River)
The Belle Creek School District was established in May 1916 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW31-29-20W in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River. The original schoolhouse was replaced by the present structure around 1933. In 1964, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Ethelbert Consolidated School District and later the Duck Mountain School Division. The former school building was later used as a granary (with a school model and lists of teachers and students displayed inside) while the associated teacherage stood vacant at the time of a 2014 site visit.
The teachers of Belle Creek School were Jessie Zawsaky, Mrs. Personecka, Rose Hryhorczuk Beldoew (1929-1932), Konstantine Moschuck (1932-1936), Mrs. M. Bilosh (1936-1938), Nick Evasiuk (1938-1940), Mark Huley (1940-1943), Betty Ogryzko (1943-1945), Borislaw N. Bilash (1945-1946), Miss H. Fedrchuk (1946-1947), William Gnazdowsky (1947-1948), Orest Gnazdowsky (1948-1949), Pete Filipchuk (1949-1950), Miss Olga Bestilechman (1950-1952), Alice Kinachuk (1952-1953), Anne Pozniak (1952-1953), Charlie Humenuik (1953-1955), Emily Yakubchak (1955-1956), Peter Ray Roebuck (1956-1957), Gerald Bernacki (1957-1958), Sterling Chicheluk (1958-1959), Julian Polowy (1959-1962), and Michael Kosinski (1962-1963).
Garland West topographic map, 62N/9 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Borislaw Bilash for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 February 2019
Back to top of page