Historic Sites of Manitoba: Belgian Veterans Association Historical War Memorial (407 Provencher Boulevard, Winnipeg)
Located in a small piece land in the centre of Provencher Boulevard south of the Belgian Club, 407 Provencher Boulevard, this memorial features the likenesses of two soldiers, one standing over a fallen comrade, originally unveiled on 1 October 1938 and restored and rededicated on 17 September 1995. The monument was the work of Winnipeg sculptor Hubert A. Garnier and the two figures, modeled by local residents Alfred De Cruyenaere and Julien Buysse (1897-1981), were sculpted out of Haddington Island stone and completed at the Gillies Quarries in Winnipeg. It is a municipally-designated historic site.
Belgian War Memorial, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, January 1995.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Jennifer Doyle for providing a photograph of sculptor Hubert A. Garnier used here, and Neil Pryce for providing the names of models used in construction of the monument. We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 July 2020
Back to top of page