Historic Sites of Manitoba: Beaconia School No. 2162 (Beaconia, RM of St. Clements)
The Beaconia School District was established formally in January 1927 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW10-17-7E in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. The original building was destroyed by fire and was replaced with the structure featuring a full basement, furnace, and indoor plumbing. The school closed in 1966 and the district was dissolved the following year, with its area becoming part of the Lord Selkirk School Division. Children from this area were bused to Walter Whyte School.
The teachers of Beaconia School were Clara Cohen (1927-1928), Cecelia Tair (1928-1930), Florence R. Harkness (1930-1932), Agnes Clotilda Lesosky (1932-1936), Catherine Apostle (1936-1939), Margaret Ann Young (1939-1940), Anna Zubachek (1940-1942), Anne Apostle (1942-1943), Theresa Parent (1943-1944), Mary Edeline Kondratuk (1944-1945), Margaret K. King (1945-1946), Michael Balitsky (1947), Miss Vera Katazinski (1947-1948), Michael Lloyd Balitsky (1948-1953), Miss Freida Zielke (1953-1954), Anne Chrusch (1954-1956), Peter Kubas (1956-1957), Steve Zastawny (1957-1960), Kenneth Switzer (1960-1961), Charles Buck (1961-1962), Miss G. McCorrister (1962), Elizabeth Rempel (1963), Eleanor Anne Salmond (1963-1964), Lillian Patzer (1964-1965), Malcolm Watson (1965-1966), and Abe Giesbrecht (1966).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beaconia School, St. Clements Heritage.
We thank Dave Crabb for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 September 2017
Back to top of page