Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Beaconia Cairn (Beaconia, RM of St. Clements)

This monument at Beaconia, in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements, commemorates a Danish immigrant named August Larson who, around 1896, settled in a cove behind an island on the southeast shore of Lake Winnipeg, later named Balsam Bay. He shipped wood by barge down the lake and along the Red River. Needing a means of finding his way home in the dark, he built a beacon on the lakeshore, lit by fish oil. When the Canadian Northern Railway reached the area in 1900, it named the station near here for Larson’s beacon.

Beaconia Cairn

Beaconia Cairn (December 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Beaconia Cairn

Beaconia Cairn (July 2020)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.44502, W96.55666
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.

Page revised: 4 July 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.