This two-storey wood building in The Pas was constructed in April 1912, using standardized plans provided the Toronto architectural firm of Darling and Pearson, as a branch of the Canadian Bank of Commerce. Opened officially on 2 July 1912, the bank occupied the main floor while residential space on the second floor was occupied by bank clerks. Closed in 1937, the building was then used as law offices by John A. Campbell and D’Arcy Bancroft. In 2005, the building, now a real estate office, became a municipally-designated historic site.
Photos & Coordinates
Canadian Bank of Commerce building (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2018-0042
The former Canadian Bank of Commerce building at The Pas (July 2013)
Source: Alan Mason
The former Canadian Bank of Commerce building at The Pas (May 2017)
Source: Ralph McLean
The former Canadian Bank of Commerce building at The Pas (July 2021)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N53.82468, W101.25446
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Archibald Campbell (1872-1963)
Manitoba Business: Canadian Bank of Commerce
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Bank of Commerce Building, 162 Fischer Avenue, The Pas, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Alan Mason, Ralph McLean, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 December 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.