Historic Sites of Manitoba: Avonlea Cemetery (RM of Macdonald)
This cemetery is situated in the Rural Municipality of Macdonald. A monument in it, erected in November 1996, provides some history of the area.
The earliest worship services in the Avonlea district were held in 1898 or 1899 in the original Macdonald School which was located across the road. The congregation was known as the Macdonald Presbyterian Mission. The early pioneers erected a church at this site in February 1903 and it opened September of that year. In 1909, it was renamed Avonlea Presbyterian Church. It became Avonlea United Church in 1925 following the unification of the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregationlist faiths. In the fall of 1950, the church building was moved to its present site in the village of Domain.
The cemetery was damaged badly by the Red River Flood of 1997. It was repaired and restored as a result of donations and volunteer labour.
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 December 2018
Back to top of page