Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Asquith School No. 1844 (RM of Mountain)

The Asquith School District was established formally in November 1916, named for British Prime Minister H. H. Asquith (1852-1928). Initially, the schoolhouse was situated about a half mile east of the village of Pulp River. In 1928, it was moved to SE3-33-20W to become Jubilee School No. 2169. The following year, a new Asquith School building was erected at its present location, SE1-33-21W in what would eventually become the Rural Municipality of Mountain. In 1967, the school closed and its area became part of the Duck Mountain School Division. The former school building became the Pulp River Community Centre.

The teachers of the first Asquith School (1916-1928) were Mr. Speckman, Mrs. Hill, Miss Dohan, and Mr. Malkowich. The teachers of the second Asquith School (1929-1967) were Mary Lesch Venger, Miss Chernieko, Mr. Doroschuk, Myrtle Overby, Miss Sylvia Karpiak, Mike Syrnyk, Mrs. Steve Gengera, Steve Gengera, Mrs. Farden (1957-1958), Leonard Boychuk (1958-1962), Miss Eleanor Serwa (1962-1963), Mrs. Berna Bulas (1963), Mrs. Olga Kopachynski (1964-1967).

Asquith School

The first Asquith School, built in 1916 (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 44.

Asquith School

The second Asquith School building, built in 1929, now used as a community centre (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Asquith School

Interior of Asquith School building (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N51.79880, W100.29823
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Hardships to Happiness: History Flows from Pine River and District by Pine River History Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.P60 Har]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 29 December 2014

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.