Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Asile Ritchot / Ritchot Orphanage (35 Avenue de la Digue, Winnipeg)

The first building on this site, erected sometime in the 1870s, was the home of Joseph Lemay. On his death in 1892, it was donated to the local church and, in 1903, Father Noël-Joseph Ritchot arranged the donation of the building and surrounding land to les Soeurs de Misericorde, who operated it as an orphanage from 1904 to 1948. In 1911, they undertook a major expansion, designed by local architect Joseph-Azarie Senecal, constructing the present three-story brick building. When Asile Ritchot closed in 1948, the building was used as a seminary by the Oblate Order. In 1970, the X-Kalay Foundation (later renamed the Behavioural Health Foundation) began using it for the treatment of people with drug or alcohol addictions.

Archival records for Asile Ritchot are held by Villa Rosa.

Asile Ritchot / Ritchot Orphanage

Asile Ritchot / Ritchot Orphanage (1947)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Album 14, P7451

Children at the Asile Ritchot

Children at the Asile Ritchot (no date)
Source: Rob McInnes, WP1272

The former Asile Ritchot / Ritchot Orphanage

The former Asile Ritchot / Ritchot Orphanage (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

The former Asile Ritchot / Ritchot Orphanage

The former Asile Ritchot / Ritchot Orphanage (June 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Asile Ritchot commemorative monument on the grounds

Asile Ritchot commemorative monument on the grounds (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.76742, W97.15151
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Cityscapes: Asile Ritchot, St. Norbert by Sheila Grover
Manitoba History, Number 11, Spring 1986

Memorable Manitobans: Joseph-Azarie Senecal (1841-1917)

Memorable Manitobans: Joseph Octave Lemay (1829-1892)

Memorable Manitobans: Joseph-Noel Ritchot (1825-1905)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Peter Dynevor Anglican Rectory / Dynevor Indian Hospital / St. John’s Cathedral Boys’ School (1147 Breezy Point Road, RM of St. Andrews)

Sources:

Asile Richot (Behavioural Health Foundation Incorporated), 35 Avenue de la Digue by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, December 2009.

We thank Murray Peterson, Lynda Falloon, Rose Kuzina, and Rob McInnes for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 28 July 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.