The Ashfield School District was established formally in September 1885 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE9-13-5E (and after 1917 at SW9-13-5E) in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. In 1951, the original school building was replaced with a new structure with attached teacherage. The school closed in 1965 and the district was dissolved the following year, with its area becoming part of the Happy Thought Consolidated School District and later the Lord Selkirk School Division.
The teachers of Ashfield School were Nellie Collier (1887-1888), Bella Horn (1889), Helen Browne “Nellie” Hislop (1889), Myrtle Armstrong (1889-1890), Sarah A. Craig (1890-1892), Nellie Collter (1892), Tillie Couch (1892), J. W. Cleveland (1893), Ella Flanagan (1893-1894), Martha Murphy (1894-1895), Kate Lucy (1895-1896), J. A. Broatch (1897), Mr. Scoular (1898), Mary E. Albriu (1898-1899), Maggie M. Foster (1900-1901), Benjamin Lang (1901), Aggie Gestern (1901), Celia E. Mitchell (1905), Jessie A. Graham (1905), Lilian Delaware (1906-1907), Charlotte L. MacDonald (1907), Frederick V. Bird (1908), Lena G. Cook (1908-1909), M. Mclennan (1909), Irene Ramsay (1910-1911), E. S. Jickling (1910), Mary G. Pearson (1911), D. S. Morgan (1913-1914), Grace Rolston (1915-1916, wife of George Stevens), D. E. Morgan (1915), E. C. Loucit (1917), Violet P. Rins (1917-1919), Mrs. A. E. Baldwin (1919), Mrs. Tina Grove (1920-1921, wife of Frederick Philip Grove), Annie Bro Ryan (1921), A. Brockman (1922), Lillian Travers (1922-1923), Vida L. Macdonald (1923-1925), Eleanor C. Fisher (1925-1926), E. Arnason (1926-1929), Daniel McWilliams (1929-1930), Isabella Helen Dresser (1930-1932), Mrs. May Irving Davidson (1932-1936), Andrew Danyleyko (1936-1938), Harry H. McIntosh (1938-1941), Miss Jean Parfaniuk (1941), Mrs. Jean Hollinger (1942-1946), Peter Andrew Boyko (1946), Alberta Louella Hendy (1947-1949), Polly Cherniak (1949-1953), Mrs. Edmie L. Silvester (1953-1954), Colin Doroschuk (1954-1963), Rose Doroschuk (1964-1965), and Judy Pidstawko (1965).
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.07841, W96.86357
denoted by symbol on the map above
School District Formation Files [Ashfield School District No. 428], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Alberta Louella Hendy], Winnipeg Free Press, 12 December 1989, page 36.
Ashfield School, Kirkness, St. Clements Heritage.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 April 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!