Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arnhold School No. 1618 (RM of St. Clements)
The Arnhold School District was established formally in April 1912, although it operated informally in the home of a local resident, and a one-room schoolhouse was bult in 1913 at SE30-15-6E in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements on two acres of land donated by Casper and Anna Ogonowski. In 1947, the school closed due to low enrollment and the district was dissolved in 1967. Its area became part of the Lord Selkirk School Division. In 2018, a commemorative sign was installed about 0.5 kilometres east of the former school site.
The teachers of Arnhold School were Edith Isbister (1911-1914), Ethel E. Gilterman (1914-1915), D. G. Mclean (1915-1916), Clara L. Hayward (1916), Ethel M. Mcconnell (1917), Marie Negryez (1917-1918), Fanny Costell (1918-1919), Pauleru McDougall (1919-1920), Henry R. Halpin (1920-1922), Myrtle Murray (1923), Elizabeth Pelling (1924), Frank Douglas Harwood (1924-1925), Norburn Todd (1926), Eva Schwarz (1926-1927), Bessie Levin (1928), Edith M. Hay (1928-1929), Henry R. Halpin (1929), Edith M. Hay (1930), Viola Melinda Fraser (1930-1931), Helga Reykdal (1931-1932), Margarer Hazel Galbraith (1932), Edith Mary Bruce (1933-1935), Jessie Clarke Mcconnell (1935-1937), Leila Rae Rankin (1937-1939), Elsie Mollie Kreycik (1939-1940), Dora Edith Olds (1940), Mary Hazel Rankin (1941), Amy Alicia Graysron (1941), Catherine Mary Hall (1942-1943), Sarah Waschenfelder (1943-1944), Elizabeth Irene Gibson (1944-1945), and Marie Patricia Banash (1945-1947).
School District Formation Files [Arnhold School District No. 1618], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Arnhold School, Poplar Park, St. Clements Heritage.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 August 2018
Back to top of page