Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arborg CPR Station / Arborg Library (492 Main Street, Arborg)
The Canadian Pacific Railway reached the south side of the Icelandic River in 1910. During the winter of 1911, a trestle bridge was constructed across the river and regular train service to what is now known as the Town of Arborg began. After serving the community for over 60 years, the station was closed.
The Village of Arborg purchased the CPR station in 1973. In the Fall of the next year, the station was turned 180° and set down upon a new foundation at its current location. Purchase of the property from the railway was finalized in 1975. At this time, one half of the main floor housed the Arborg-Bifrost Fire Department and the other half was home to the Arborg branch of the Evergreen Regional Library. An upstairs suite was rented out. In 1982, the library expanded into the entire building and the fire department was relocated. It was designated as a municipal heritage site in 1992.
A park in front of the library is dedicated to Ukrainian, Polish, English and German settlers of the Arborg area.
Arborg Canadian Pacific Railway Station (Arborg Library), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 August 2012
Back to top of page