Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abmyndo Apartments / Aquilla Apartments (519-521 William Avenue, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick and stone block on William Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 50 feet by 132 feet, was designed by local architect Charles Saunders Bridgman and built in 1914 by the Simmons Brothers. Known originally as the Abmyndo Apartments, it was renamed the Aquilla Apartments in late 1914 or early 1915. The building contained 14 apartments in its original configuration. It has 21 apartments today.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 777/1914, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Rentals [New Abmyndo Apts.],” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 August 1914, page 13.
“To let - Unfurnished suites [Ambyndo Apts],” Manitoba Free Press, 27 October 1914, page 13.
“Unfurnished suites [Aquilla Apts.],” Manitoba Free Press, 31 March 1915, page 14.
Find a Postal Code, Canada Post.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
Page revised: 22 February 2022