Historic Sites of Manitoba: Greater Winnipeg Water District Second Branch Aqueduct Plaque (Bishop Grandin Boulevard, Winnipeg)
Seven feet beneath the ground surface, water flows in the Second Branch Aqueduct. Between 1913 and 1919, an aqueduct 97 miles in length was constructed to bring water, by gravity, from the Lake of the Woods, 300 feet above prairie elevation, to greater Winnipeg. The easterly 80 miles of the aqueduct is arch-shaped, similar to this historical marker and has a capacity of 85 million gallons of water per day as far as Deacon. From there, a smaller 66-inch diameter branch line was built to carry water into greater Winnipeg. In 1959-1960, in order to secure the maximum capacity of the aqueduct, a second 66-inch diameter, reinforced concrete branch, 12 miles in length, was constructed from Deacon to two new reservoirs, located near Wilkes Avenue in the City of Winnipeg.
Unveiled on the west side of Pembina Highway at the branch’s official opening on 17 October 1960, it was moved in 1988 when Bishop Grandin Boulevard was extended west from River Road to Waverley Street and the underpass at Pembina Highway had to be built. The large plaque and stone and metal sculpture was re-located to the median of Bishop Grandin Boulevard on the west side of River Road.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank the City of Winnipeg for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 January 2018
Back to top of page