Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: All Souls Unitarian Church / Bethel Mennonite Church / St. Demetrios Romanian Orthodox Church (103 Furby Street, Winnipeg)

This church at the corner of Furby Street and Westminster Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by architect John Danley Atchison and built in 1913 for the congregation of All Souls Unitarian Church. In 1945, it became Bethel Mennonite Church. The Mennonite Bible College was started in its basement in 1947 and operated there until 1949. The Mennonite congregation moved out in 1955 and, the following year, it became St. Demetrios Romanian Orthodox Church.

St. Demetrios Romanian Orthodox Church

St. Demetrios Romanian Orthodox Church (April 2017)
Source: George Penner

Interior of St. Demetrios Romanian Orthodox Church

Interior of St. Demetrios Romanian Orthodox Church (January 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88194, W97.15785
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: John Danley Atchison (1870-1959)

Sources:

This page was prepared by George Penner.

Page revised: 12 September 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.