Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Alexandria Block (389-393 Graham Avenue, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Photos & Coordinates | Sources

A three-storey brick and stone apartment block at the northwest corner of Graham Avenue and Edmonton Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect John Danley Atchison and constructed in 1905 by the firm of Davidson Brothers. The 120-foot wide by 99-foot deep structure contained 19 residential apartments.

Demolished by its owners in early 1979, some interior panelling, fireplaces, and fixtures were salvaged. The former namestone of the building was, at the time of a 2021 site visit, displayed on an east-facing exterior wall of the successor building.

Alexandria Block

Alexandria Block (1970)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Archives of Manitoba photo collection, Architectural Survey -
Winnipeg - Edmonton Street - No. 54/70

Alexandria Block

Alexandria Block (1970)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Archives of Manitoba photo collection, Architectural Survey -
Winnipeg - Edmonton Street - No. 54/70

Alexandria Block entrance and namestone

Alexandria Block entrance and namestone (1970)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Archives of Manitoba photo collection, Architectural Survey -
Winnipeg - Edmonton Street - No. 54/70

Alexandria Block

Alexandria Block (1974)
Source: Winnipeg Building Index, ABA-70

Alexandria Block entrance and namestone

Alexandria Block being demolished (March 1979)
Source: Planning, Property & Development, City of Winnipeg , HBRC5254

Alexandria Block entrance and namestone

Alexandria Block being demolished (March 1979)
Source: Planning, Property & Development, City of Winnipeg , HBRC5255

Namestone for the former Alexandria Block

Namestone for the former Alexandria Block (December 2021)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89127, W97.14707
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: John Danley Atchison (1870-1959)

Manitoba Business: Davidson Brothers

Sources:

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 295/1905, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Alexandria Block to be razed,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 October 1978, page 17.

“Preserving old building 'unjustified',” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 December 1978, page 84.

“City gives go-ahead to topple building,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 January 1979, page 86.

“Community news,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 February 1979, page 148.

Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.

Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.

We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 26 March 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.