Historic Sites of Manitoba: Alcester School No. 380 (Municipality of Grassland)
The Alcester School District was organized formally in February 1887 and a school building operated at SE18-5-19W and NE15-5-19W. After the school closed in 1954, its building was moved to Minto, in what is now the Municipality of Grassland, where it was used as the local Legion Hall.
Among the teachers who worked at Alcester School was James E. Scarrow.
The former Alcester School building (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.40742, W100.02373
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 January 2018
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.