Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years


Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


No. 87

in Manitoba

This Old



Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Acheson Building (313 Stephen Street, Morden)

This modest one-storey building along Stephen Street in Morden was constructed in 1896 by J. T. Acheson for his retail store that later became Acheson Grocers and incorporated the neighboring building at 317 Stephen. His sons Harold and Bill Acheson took over the business in 1920, based at 317 while son-in-law B. L. Martin operated the dry goods section here. In 1946, Ron, Perry and Don George established George Brothers Electric Company and operated it until at least 1962, after which a McLeod’s store was based here. In 1978, a factory clearance store specializing in outerwear opened in the building.

Acheson Building (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.18997, W98.10088
denoted by symbol on the map above


313 Stephen Street, Town of Morden.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 19 December 2011

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.