The Aberdeen School District was established in May 1893 and, the following year, a wood frame school operated at SW13-1-11W in what is now the Municipality of Louise. The district was dissolved in 1964 and its area became part of the Snowflake Consolidated School District. The building is no longer present at the site, having been moved to SE17-2-10W for use as a garage, but a metal sign commemorates it.
Aberdeen School (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 121.
The former Aberdeen School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 600.
Aberdeen School sign (June 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.02990, W98.82128
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Aberdeen School (444 Flora Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: High Bluff Village School No. 771 (High Bluff, RM of Portage la Prairie)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 March 2018
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.