Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abbotshall School No. 1875 (RM of Lakeshore)
The Abbotshall School District was organized formally in March 1917 and a school building was erected at this site in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore. In 1967, it became part of the Duck Mountain School Division. As of 2012, the building still stands at the site.
The teachers of Abbotshall School were Mary S. Wrenshall (1924-1929), Adeline R. Kinnettle (1929-1930), Grace Roberts (1930-1931), Lylia Rogers (1931-1933), Winnifred M. Clarke (1933-1935), Elizabeth H. Cumming (1935-1937), Olive Mildred McMahon (1938-1940), Rose Rochlin (1940-1942), ? (1942-1945), Violet Mulvenay (1945-1946), Sheila Payne (1946-1947), Emelia Kubas (1947-1948), Joan McLaren (1948-1949), Denise Moreau (1949-1950), Ina Rawlings (1950-1951), Margaret Jose (1951-1952), Mary Maksymchuk (1952-1953), Lucy McCann (1953-1955), Jennie Boyechko (1955-1956), Emma Arneson (1956-1957), Ernest J. Burtniak (1957-1958), Audrey Biletski (1958-1959), M. Szport (1959-1961), M. Heschuk (1961), J. Harrison (1962), Miss Mackie (1962-1963), and Elizabeth Michalot (1963-1966).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Opening the Door - The Past Comes Alive, The History of the Rural Municipality of Lawrence by Lawrence Municipality History Committee, 1997, page 39.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Abbotshall School District No. 1875 - Daily Registers, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 May 2021