Early Post Offices in Manitoba
by Harold Wilding and Don Fraser
Manitoba Pageant, Spring 1975, Volume 20, Number 3
Postal marking used in the Red River Settlement
On February 28, 1855 the Governor and Council of Assiniboia authorized the creation of a post office at Red River with William Ross as the first postmaster. Little is known about postmasters and the location of post offices in the Red River Settlement (Fort Garry) between 1859 and 1870. In March, 1862 a post office opened at St. Andrews, and in December, 1868 one was opened at St. Norbert. The Canadian government took over the north-west and the “postage stamp province” of Manitoba was formed. Mail was under the jurisdiction of the Manitoba Government. An additional post office opened in August 1870 at Lower Fort Garry and in December, 1870 at Kildonan. In July 1871 Manitoba and the Northwest Territories were officially brought within the Canadian Postal Service. Thirty-six post offices had opened in Manitoba by 1874. The following is a list of these with the official dates of opening.
* indicates that the post office was already in operation as indicated above prior to its official opening date.
Baie St. PaulJuly 1
Indian MissionOctober 1
Cook’s CreekOctober 1
Scratching RiverJanuary 1 (Morris 1881)
Page revised: 20 July 2009