Photographs from an Historical-Architectural Survey
Manitoba Pageant, Volume 12, Number 2, Winter 1967
During the summer of 1964 and 1966, an architecture student at the University of Manitoba was employed in a programme of photographing buildings of historical and architectural significance in Manitoba.
This programme, sponsored by the Manitoba Historical Society, has had the support of the Manitoba Association of Architects, the Department of Mines and Natural Resources, the Historic Sites Advisory Board and the Faculty of Architecture at the University of Manitoba. The project was directed and supervised by the Archives of Manitoba.
Initial contact with local communities was made through local historical societies, museum groups and individuals as well as the newspapers to announce the programme and solicit suggestions as to buildings of significance. The programme entailed not only photographing but preparing historical background on these buildings.
The purpose of the programme was to prepare a record in photographic form of significant buildings and ultimately to set up a priority rating within specific categories (e.g. churches, homes, farm buildings, etc.) which could be used in determining what buildings should receive attention in a programme of preservation.
It was not possible during two summers to complete a survey of the whole Province. The project was a limited one concentrating on well-known buildings and selected settlement patterns and routes. Approximately 180 buildings were photographed during the two year programme.
Manitoba Pageant presents in this issue a selection of photographs from the Historical-Architectural Survey.
Thatched roof log house, Roblin district, built in 1911.
Stoney Creek School, Neepawa, built 1897.
Sod roof barn, Grandview district, built 1937.
Hoffman House, Birtle, built c 1905-1910.
St. Germain Home, Baie St. Paul, built c 1860 - 1865.
Morton Log Home, Gladstone, built circa 1874 - 1875.
Boughton Home, Arden, built circa 1895.
"Glencorra Castle", Ashern, built 1930s.
Bell Home, Clanwilliam, built 1934.
Hudson's Bay Co. Store, Ste. Anne, built 1870s.
Greek Orthodox Church, Sifton, built 1928.
Greek Orthodox Church, Sandy Lake, built 1932.
Anglican Church, Clanwilliam, built 1884.
Anglican Church, Poplar Point, built 1859 - 1862.
Anglican Church, Dynevor, built 1853 - 1854.
Ukrainian Catholic Church, Mountain Road, built 1924 - 1925. Destroyed by fire 1966.
Page revised: 11 January 2013Back to top of page