Manitoba Business: Maple Leaf Milling Company
The Maple Leaf Milling Company was incorporated via Letters Patent under the Ontario Companies Act on 16 March 1910 to take over the assets of two Ontario-based firms: Hedley Shaw Milling Company and Maple Leaf Flour Mills Company. It was founded by grain merchants Hedley Shaw, Charles Walter Band, John Carrick, and Charles Shaw Band, broker Cawthra Mulock, manager Charles Wurtele, and accountant Silas Huntington Foster, all of Ontario. The company had an initial capital stock of 5 million and maintained corporate head office in Toronto. Within Manitoba, it obtained an extra-provincial corporation license on 30 May 1910.
Its country elevators were sold to Federal Grain in 1929.
“Big milling re-organization,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 June 1910, page 6.
“Maple Leaf Milling makes dividend cut,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 June 1922, page 14.
“James Stewart approves cut,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 May 1923, page 2.
“Dunning heads Maple Leaf Co.,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 October 1934, page 17.
“Everett Bristol, K.C., is Maple Leaf Milling head,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 November 1935, page 15.
“D. C. MacLachlan to become president of Maple Leaf Milling,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 October 1936, page 16.
“Maple Leaf Flour Mills head sees trade problem,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 December 1949, page 27.
Corporate Security registered documents (ATG 0089), A30 - Maple Leaf Milling Company Limited, GR12576, Archives of Manitoba.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 253M - Maple Leaf Milling Company Limited, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 August 2020