Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Manitoba Business: Gate City Brick Works Limited

The Gate City Brick Works (GCBW) Limited was incorporated via Letters Patent under the Manitoba Joint Stock Companies Act on 25 February 1910. Its founding partners were contractor Samuel Hector Foster (of Foster House), Elizabeth Edith Foster (wife of Samuel), brick manufacturer Arthur Clayton Osborne (1874-1940), Minnie Gertrude Osborne (wife of Arthur), and barrister William Frederick Hall. The company held a capital stock of $100,000 and was based in Kildonan (later West Kildonan), and operated a brickyard at the corner of McPhillips Street and Kildonan Avenue (now Kingsbury Avenue). Samuel was its President, Arthur was both Vice-President and Manager, and C. S. Walters was its Secretary. Of the $60,000 in issued stock, Samuel held $59,600 with $100 each retained by all other co-founders. The GCBW operated for a few years until around the onset of the First World War. With the transition and shifted priorities to a wartime economy, as well as large demand on labour, the business faltered. By August 1915, assets were being seized and sold off to pay creditors.

See also:

MHS Resources: Manitoba Bricks and Blocks: Bricks

Sources:

“Teams wanted to haul brick,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 October 1910, page 2.

“Bricks for house by parcel post,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 February 1913, page 12.

“Bailiff sale,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 August 1915, page 2.

“A. C. Osborne dies at beach,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 July 1940, page 19.

Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 129G - The Gate City Brick Works Limited, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 26 September 2020

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.